LUXEMBOURG: LIGHT RAIL TRAIN OF LUXEMBOURG
Duration of the project
- After more than a 50-year break, the operator LUXTRAM reintroduced the tramway transportation system in the City of Luxembourg. The construction of the Luxembourg tramway line progresses through three stages. first section of Luxemburg’s tramway was commissioned on December 10 2017, marking the return of this mode of transport to the Luxembourgish capital. The A section stretch is about 5,4 km long and serves 8 stations through the Kirchberg district (from Luxexpo to Rout-Bréck-Pafendall).
- Since July 2018, the second phase of the project is also operational as it has been linking Luxexpo The Box to Place de l’Étoile through the Kirchberg district in the northeast of the city and Limpertsberg in the north of the historic center. The route takes 15 minutes and serves eleven stations spaced approximately 500 meters apart over 5.1 kilometers.
- By 2020-2021, when fully completed, the Luxembourgian tramway line will serve 24 stations (from Luxembourg-Findel airport to La Cloche d’Or, south of the Gasperich district) connected by 16 km-tracks with a capacity of 10,000 passengers per hour in each direction.
Scope of work
In the framework of this project, CERTIFER had been selected as Independent Safety Assessment Body by LUXTRAM.
The scope of our intervention included the independent assessment of the following subsystems:
- Global Transport system: interfaces between all subsystems including Integration of the rolling stock of CAF (URBOS 3) on the infrastructure
- Infrastructure (platform, track and switches and crossing), OHW Traction power & Civil engineering works
- Command-control Signaling
- Operation and Maintenance
- Urban Insertion