QATAR: LIGHT RAIL TRAIN OF DOHA
Duration of the project
- A 2 km circular tramway will serve a ‘smart city’ which is being developed by the Qatar Foundation’s Msheireb Properties business with the aim of reviving Doha’s old commercial center.
- The developer appointed US company TIG/m to design, build, operate and maintain the tramway, which is intended to reduce car usage by providing a convenient travel option including a connection with the future metro network and service running every 6 minutes.
- Trams will run anti-clockwise around the single-track loop, which will have nine stops and a 400 m ‘hop-on, hop-off’ zone.
- Trams will have priority at junctions, there will be real-time passenger information, and no fares will be charged.
- TIG/m’s factory in California has produced three single-section 1 435 mm gauge trams for the line. These are powered by onboard batteries and incorporate regenerative braking. Ancillary power is provided by an LNG generator.
Scope of work
CERTIFER carried out an ISA mission by ensuring that the safety goals of each sub-system is met at all times during its lifecycle and by verifying compliance with the regulations, standards and best practices of the system designed and implemented, covering the following areas:
Independent Safety Assessment (ISA) mission:
- Global system
- Railway and civil works
- Urban insertion and roads Signaling
- Rolling stock
- Power supply Systems
- Control-Command & Signaling
- Operation and maintenance